February 17, 2014

L I F E / Inspiration in Menswear

 photo loveaestheticsxmenswear.jpg



 photo loveaestheticsxmenswear2.jpg



Lately menswear is becoming more like womenswear. Where changes per season are often seen in big ways; a drastic change of silhouette, color, print or theme. Whereas the changes in the menswear would often be more subtle, about what kind of stitching, tailoring, button placement, slight changes in proportions; a higher hem, an exposed ankle. Menswear has a certain delicacy to it.

The way men dress changes less or slower per season, compared to women. If the cliché of men rarely shopping is true (that they know what they are missing in their wardrobe, buy it and get out) you could say that my shopping behavior is quite manly. I never dedicate an entire day to shop. When I need something, I order it online or go straight to the store and rack where I can find it. You won’t catch me in a store trying on piles of clothes for fun. The men’s department always looks more ‘boring’ than the women’s department, because it is filled with mostly basics in basic colors.

I still find it immensely inspiring to look for these subtle whispering details on the classic pieces in the menswear shows, my boyfriend's closet or in stores as opposed to flicking through the often loud and ever changing womenswear collections. Menswear is still kind of a safe haven and a place to enjoy fashion in a less hysterical and fast way.

Also the practicality of menswear inspires me immensely. You should see the depth of the pockets in my oversized wool mens coat; they fit my wallet, my glasses including their case, some cosmetics and even my camera. MY. CAMERA. No need to even bring a bag. Isn’t it kind of anti-feminist that often form comes before function in womenswear?



shirt: Raf Simons via Tres Bien
jacket: Muji

24 comments:

linn london said...

if you are a feminist I might die of happiness <3 ps agree on all regarding womenswear vs menswear and your blog is a safe haven in the hectic mass consumption

Reeli said...

Oh my, I agree 100%! I just love menswear and I soooo envy men for so much smaller number of pieces they 'need'. It just seems so easy for men! I dream that my wardrobe would only consist of basics that you can wear year to year and everything in your wardrobe goes perfectly with each other. Sadly for women the industry just makes us think we need to change our wardrobe all the time, we need to be up to date, we need to be 'in', otherwise we're just out dated and old-fashioned and boring and whatnot. Well, it might be a slight exaggeration but yeah, it just seems so easy for men and I love mens clothes so much more than women's :) Sorry for the long rant, haha x

Sarah Iracheni said...

I absolutely agree with you on this! This is very true - and definitely inspiring too. I own some pieces of menswear myself and it's absolutely fantastic!

Fashionbysi.blogspot.dk

Elisa Taviti said...

So cool!!

My Fantabulous World

Rachel said...

such amazing photographs, love the jacket!

Rachel x
Style Soup

Erin said...

Love this, and totally agree. I probably dress a lot more masculine than most women, but it's partially because I do love the simplicity and how unfussy it is (also, a great menswear button-down never really goes out of style...)
Also thought you might find this interesting, here's a post talking about how women might have much more clothing than men because society's rules for them are so much more complicated: http://thesocietypages.org/socimages/2013/12/31/60871/

Joy Oelen said...

love these clean photos

Milex said...

Adore!

Amanda Heeringa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amanda Heeringa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amanda Heeringa said...

Extremely relevant post. I think most of us have already stolen / borrowed a piece of clothing from a boyfriend or dad and couldn't help but wish, even for a tiny moment, that we could wear that for the rest of our lives haha

Sarah said...

Great post. To answer your question at the end: YES.

Marchel said...

AMAZING way to show off the Raf crest! Love that jacket, I've been trying to get one myself but ever since I've seen it it's already been sold out :(

Dominique Candido said...

i love it !

xxxx
www.dominiquecandido.com

Hannelore said...

it's frustrating and depressing that women are targeted for this frenzied buying fest that's pretty much year round. Your blog is refreshing because you buck that trend. No one needs a closet full of shoes and another full of clothes, but they tell us we do.

Anonymous said...

My blog is all about finding inspiration from the menswear aisles. There is no end of practical, refined dressing choices and at times they just seem to fit better. Menswear and womenswear is increasingly becoming aligned.

www.girlinmenswear.com

Justalazymorning said...

beautiful photos, like always.

John Doe said...

Google

Chelsea said...

I remember when I first heard about Yohji Yamamoto and his super-deep pockets - I thought such a novel idea would only exist in more avant-garde designs like his. Little did I know it was hiding in the men's section all along! I do agree that men's fashion is becoming more outlandish: on the runway, anyway. We'll see how much this shift translates to general men's style!

Auryn Reeve said...

So True! But I also think the the line betwwen menswear and womenswear is thiining out with designers such as Astrid Andersen.

ApollineR said...

I totally agree. And I hate those stingy brands that sell women outfits without pockets!

Rosalinda Tjioe said...

This is so perfect! Love the jacket!

http://rosalindatj.blogspot.com

MartinaAloha said...

I'm agree with you! Love this Muji Jacket, I want it!!

karl philip Leuterio said...

THERE IS REALLY SOMETHING IN MENSWEAR. the changes are becoming noticeable. i see promise..

love the muji coat omg!